Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hasbro presents Transformers 4


What comes to mind when you hear these names Shia laBeouf, Josh Duhamel, and Tyrese Gibson? Correct Transformers; but according to Hasbro that’s not the way it’s supposed to be!


Transformers is produced & distributed by Paramount pictures in association with Hasbro Entertainment, because Hasbro has all licensing rights to the transformers characters and universe.
Paramount collected a whopping $709 million in gross box office sales world wide for the first Transformer movie in 2007, $836 million for the second movie in 2009, and $1.12 billion for the third installment in 2011. It seems that the films are a great asset and continue to bring in the revenue, but not for all. Hasbro being one of the main forces behind Transformers being on the silver screen has hit a roadblock in the sales of their friendly robot counterparts. So Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner has geared Michael Bay the Producer/Director for all the films, into writing the fourth installment of the Transformer franchise towards having more robotic characters and focusing more on the robots.  At a UBS "Best of America 2012 Conference" Goldner opened with presentation talking about how more robots and directed more towards the production of a wide range characters he believes will entice children into wanting to collect the characters they do not have already and with a redesign of the older characters make them want to purchase old Optimus and Bumble bee all over again. Transformer sales will rise again. 

I believe it’s a great idea, because it opens whole new paths for the direction of the franchise, and with the films geared towards toy production, maybe the new characters will have a design that makes the toys look more practical in there transformation. In the films when the robots transform it looks like every square inch of the fiberglass fenders and hoods rotate and bend making it less realistic and impossible for the toys to compare in an opposable sense.

I don’t collect the toys now but maybe the film will inspire better quality figures and encourage the development of characters that you just can’t pass up in the store. I don’t know about all my readers here but I am looking forward to seeing an explosive Michael Bay film again. 


Writer/Producer Ehren Kruger the writer for the last two Transformer films is working on the screenplay for the new film and Paramount hopes to release the film June of 2014

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post! That video made me laugh so hard. Haha.

    I like Michael Bay movies, I'm not going to lie. I know what kind of movie to expect when I watch anything directed or produced by him. And, I think most people do. For me, being older, I think of Optimus Prime, and the like, when I think Transformers - but like many of us who probably do, we're really to old to bother with collecting toys. So, I can see the need to adjust the perception of the movies to better garner toy sales, because I think it's definitely fair to say, there's as much (if not potentially more) focus on the human characters, then those of the films namesake.

    Do you think the change in direction though, will be to, well, "childish"? I'm a little worried about Hasbro's desire for the movies focus. Not that I wouldn't want more on the Transformers, but, toys are for kids (for the most part), so will that have an effect on the kind of movie we get, thematically? I hope it'll still be something the not-so-childish of us will want to see.

    ReplyDelete